Service Center History


- The Service Center was built in 1894 along with six other St. Paul Seminary buildings

- Originally the Service Center was the gymnasium for the seminarians (the basketball court markings still exist today)

- James J. Hill donated the money for construction which amounted to $20,000 (in 1894)

- The building is of Northern Italian Style (simple, solid, impressive)

- Constructed from red brick, iron railings and landings, fireproof partitions, and classic style arches

- The ceiling's arced beams are adjustable for weather conditions

- The building at one point was lit by gas and used steam heat

- The power plant in the basement is still used to power the south campus

- Ornamentation around the building includes the use of Greek crosses, which can be found throughout the building (including the top of the smokestack)